Monday, June 4, 2012

Cold War Biographies

This is week two of our Cold War Biographies. Today, we will focus on John Welch, board chair for the Cold War Museum.

John has been one of the driving forces behind the museum, and here is a little more about him!

Tell us a little about yourself, what your position is at the Cold War Museum and how you got involved with it.

I was born the last of six kids a month after Kennedy was assassinated to a couple of Depression Babies who rinsed and re-used the plastic baggies from our lunches. Mom and Dad came from Brooklyn, moved us around NY some, until we settled with the Bell System in North Carolina in 1978. They were married 53 years when cancer took Mom in 2003, and they still serve as an example of how dedicated, loving and rewarding marriage can be. They were the great teachers of my life, and I’ll do well if I live to be half the man my father was.

In the early 1990’s I met Gary Powers Jr. at George Mason University. I was focused on a straight-A grade average to make up for my under-graduate; it was an important part of learning that anything is possible with enough effort. Gary and I were in the MPA program together and became friends. He had an idea for a memorial to his Dad and asked me to help. We soon realized that there was a much bigger story to tell, and thanks to Gary’s unbelievably tireless efforts The Cold War Museum was born. I was a pretty good background guy. Gary was (and is) great as a public speaker and many other things, but our differences made us a good team. I’m skipping a lot here – Gary deserves a lot more credit. In 2010 I took over as chairman. I’m honored and privileged to lead this effort, and pray I’m up to the task.

Leslie (my wife) and I met at work in DC. She’s beautiful, funny, smart and dedicated. I’m blessed to have such a partner in life. Lucas was born in 1999 – just as the Millennium Bug was scamming the tech industry. Joshua was born in 2003, just in time to be held by his Nana before her reassignment as his guardian angel. They are my purpose in life. While the museum and other charitable efforts I support are important, if I can look back on my life knowing that I took proper care of my wife and children then I’ll move on with confidence and humble self-satisfaction.

While nonprofit management and fundraising are my specialty and my current career, I’ve wandered a bit. I’m fascinated by the long-game in public policy and public administration – which is a Cold War theme. Consider how many governments have been formed under the premise of serving “the people” only to later subjugate them. I believe in systemic change, which is made possible only if institutions like The Cold War Museum encourage people to seek the truth. I’m also fascinated by how things work, which is why I became licensed general contractor and home inspector. My first car was a 1965 Corvair that I disassembled at age 14 and had running and ready when I got my license two years later. Despite my efforts, it was still unsafe at any speed. Now I enjoy using the tools and skills I gained as a contractor to help my friends and family occasionally, as the aging back allows. And I enjoy applying myself to exceptional missions – most notably that of The Cold War Museum.

Why do you feel the Cold War should be preserved?

The Cold War was the most volatile and dangerous time in history. It holds many lessons that should be studied toward securing a more safe and secure world for our children. It is important to recognize and remember the significant (and in some cases, ultimate) sacrifices made by Cold War Veterans and civilians to attain and/or protect Freedom. Freedom has a cost that is paid by few but benefits many. Honoring them is the right thing to do. And we must be ever mindful that Freedom, when taken for granted, is in peril. Thus the need for a Cold War Museum: learn from history or repeat it.

What is your favorite artifact in the Cold War Museum’s Collection?

I guess it’s the SA-II Russian-made missile. Aside from being cool, I like the fact that it was constructed as part of a strategy to defeat our Free society and now resides in our museum, helping to tell the story of Democracy’s victory of Communism. And in a museum that doesn’t charge admission – it’s Free too!

What do you personally remember most about the Cold War?

My first opportunity to vote in an election came when Ronald Reagan ran for his second term. I remember feeling safe with him in charge.

Who is your favorite Cold Warrior?

I don’t know – who’s your favorite super hero? Every man or woman who signed on the dotted line making a commitment to stand between you and me and a bullet is my hero. That’s why I’m so eager to build a Cold War Memorial – not only for those who served in uniform but also for those whose service can never be publicly known. If you want me to narrow it down, I’d go with my older brother who served in the Marines in the late ‘70’s and took an oath that remains intact to this day to defend America. And if you’ll allow me to stretch the definition of the Cold War slightly I would claim another family warrior as a favorite: my Dad served in the Pacific theater toward the end of WWII and to my astonishment and great satisfaction trained on Japanese codes with the Signal Corps at Vint Hill, Va. Small world!

What else would you like people to know about you and your relationship to the Cold War?

You’ll notice that when I write I capitalize words that my English teachers wouldn’t: Free, Freedom, Veteran… For important reasons I choose to my apply time, energy and resources to telling the Cold War story, honoring those who served, and helping our children learn that Freedom is worth everything. It’s a bedrock value handed down by our Founding Fathers; it’s what brave men and women fought for in our past wars; and it’s what motivated many to break free of authoritarian regimes during the Cold War. During the Cold War people fought for their “inalienable rights,” and those of others. I wish to honor their legacy, tell their story and ensure that their values endure. Hence, The Cold War Museum.

As you can see, John has a great desire to preserve the Cold War and to teach others about it. (And apparently he does general contract work, so that is always a plus when it comes time to re-shingle the roof...)

I hope you enjoyed this interview, and remember to check back on Wednesdays and Fridays for new posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment